Thursday, March 10, 2016

Step 1: The Genre

As mentioned in the previous post, the first step in determining my plot is figuring out the genre. I unfortunately don't have enough time to research all the genres in the world so I've decided to pick three to research. But which three? I went on Statista (a great website to find statistics from a myriad of topics) to see which ones historically generate the most box office revenue and according to this graph, in North America from 1995 to 2016 comedy has been the top grossing genre. I found this slightly strange since I personally believe the quality of comedy movies has been decreasing over the years. I decided to take a look at another graph oriented solely on current years rather than an average of the last decade. In this particular graph listing domestic box office revenue of Hollywood movies in 2014 comedy ranked third behind action films, which came in first, and drama, which came in second. Action films grossed more than twice as much as comedy, bringing in 2,160 million US dollars more. Given this I've decided to conduct my research on action, drama, and adventure. I've chosen adventure as my third choice given that a lot of the films nominated for the Academy Awards this year fit within this genre such as The Revenant, Mad Max: Fury Road, and The Martian (you can check out the list of the of the nominees and winners here).

Sources:

Donnell, Jim. "Oscar Winners 2016: See the Complete List!" The Oscars. N.p., 29 Feb. 2016. Web. 10 Mar. 2016. <http://oscar.go.com/news/winners/oscar-winners-2016-see-the-complete-list>.

"Hollywood: Highest Grossing Movie Genres 2014 | Statistic." Statista. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Mar. 2016. <http://www.statista.com/statistics/433732/highest-grossing-movies-domestic-box-office-genre/>.

"Movie Genres by Box Office Revenue in North America 2016 | Statistic." Statista. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Mar. 2016. <http://www.statista.com/statistics/188658/movie-genres-in-north-america-by-box-office-revenue-since-1995/>.



1 comment:

  1. Your blog is rich with research and lots of multi-media elements to keep your posts refreshing and engaging. This is your blogs strongest point in my opinion, so keep up the great posts! My one critique for you would be to try and be more diligent with correcting grammar. This post in particular was missing lots of commas which disrupts the flow of reading and makes sentences hard to decode. Try to keep that in mind for future posts.
    Great work!!

    ReplyDelete